Thursday, December 13, 2012

Reading Stuff

**Insert vague introduction about the internet and the modern speed of communication**

Online reading material is connected at the hip with blogs, and I sympathize with the people who think of blogging as a soapbox for losers. The needle swings heavily that way if you were to somehow average out all existing online content, and there are only so many posts about summer vacations and cats one can read before they begin to paint it all with one brush.

But I like to read. And I say that with a complete and honest admission that I can't remember the last book I read. I remember, vaguely, the first couple chapters of the last three books I began to read, but stuff like YouTube videos of hockey fights and a shiny blue bouncy ball got in the way of those. I will never utter the horribly overplayed words "I SWEAR I HAVE A.D.D." because, quite frankly, someone with certification has never told me so. But I am most definitely a product of a generation that prefers the episode to the movie, the snippet to the story, and the bite to the meal.

So nestled somewhere within my disdain for the concept of blogs, my love for online reading and my fear of books, is a daily diet of articles from this here internet. Grantland has overtaken the letter 'G' from Google in my computer's search bar recognition, which is no small feat considering how popular the latter is with everyone on earth. The Awl is cool, I love Vice, and Fast Company has drawn me in several times for several hours.

But this isn't about listing off some neat websites I read. The point I'm trying to make is that 99.9% of the online content I read is written from, and about, somewhere else in the world. And in all honesty, the underlying sweetness of traveling the Global Village is being removed from Winnipeg goddamn Manitoba, even if my fingers clacking the keyboard are still here. The internet is the cheapest vacation you can take.

That being said, it's important to save at least a fraction of your peripheral vision for the space immediately surrounding your physical self. Reading local-ish publications is a great way to double check if your country's at war or not, what season it is, or whether or not your family is in the obituaries. Take part in your community a little, or whatever.

Enter The Spectator Tribune. Based out of Winnipeg, serving Western Canada and still wet behind the ears, so far it looks like a promising piece of internet real-estate that seems to "get" it. Bigger picture stuff mixed with local stuff. Funny stuff mixed with meaningful stuff. Basically, just lots of good stuff.

What sites like this offer that established news sources can't are whatever-who-cares humor. Articles written by people in an interesting place in the world and their life. And most definitely, youth. So consider this my endorsement. I like the cut of your jib, Spectator.

But what do I know. I'm just a blogger.

Cheers.


1 comment:

  1. Particularly, Rau-Tech jackets can be found in the next rolex replica uk aubergine eggplant crimson, metal colour, bronze colour, as well as precious metal colour. Based on rolex replica sale they're focusing on extra colours, however this can be a very good begin. With one of these colours, the actual experienced customizer right now comes with an whole new world associated with choices to create rolex replica along with other high-end wrist watches appear fascinating or even totally strange. What's the actual replica watches sale layer procedure. Nicely, the actual films tend to be a kind of PVD bodily watery vapor rolex replica and therefore are blasted towards the area associated with wrist watches inside a unique step. They need to actually disassemble the actual wrist watches as well as layer every element separately an rolex replica component that provides substantially towards the rolex replica sale.

    ReplyDelete